Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bundles of books

Old books are so cool. To read of course, but also just for looks.


A couple years ago, I picked up several old books at an auction, and I started bundling them together using homespun fabric. Usually, I'd make the bundle a stack of 3 old books.

I've sold lots of these bundles - a few people have looked carefully at the titles because they intended to take the bundle apart and read them. Most have bought them just for the looks though. I carefully bundle them by size, color, texture etc. until I have a pleasing combination.

Then, I started seeing bundles of books online, with the covers torn off. WHAT? I was appalled. Well, ok, that's an exaggeration, but I didn't care for it. It seemed so destructive.

So, what did I do?




I joined the crowd.

If everyone else jumped off a cliff, would I do it to? Hmmm.

I chose books whose covers weren't anything special. And I have to admit, I kind of like the look now.

We were in a Restoration Hardware store in Tyson's Corner, VA a couple weeks ago. LOVE that store! So much eye candy! So many ideas!

But the prices! Oh my! Let's just say, I didn't pick anything up but ideas.

And guess what we saw there? Yep! Bundles of books without covers! Tied together with just a piece of twine.

I went a little fancier on mine, sticking with the fabric.

Just keeping up with the big boys, but at a much lower price!

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...