Monday, November 12, 2012

Blanket box

This old box had a purpose in it's day...........


It's a blanket box, the lid lifts off.
All the blanket boxes we've had have been covered in wallpaper.
I'm assuming that served two purposes:
1.Keep bugs out.
 2. Look pretty.
 
I'm sure at one time, that paper was pretty, but now....... not so much.
If you prefer the REALLY primitive look, you could leave it as is.
For me personally, I'd scrape it off.
 
And usually, I'd scrape the inside paper off too, but in this case,
I'd consider leaving it there. Why? Check this out......

 
It's lined with a local newspaper.
The Wheeling (WV) News-Register.
  
 

From Sunday, April 4, 1948!
 

On the opposite side of the box, you can see the date again,
along with a list of the movies playing at one of the local theaters.
(The photo makes it look like there's mold in the top right corner, but it's not mold. It's just a place where the paper is torn) 
 
 
And check out these prices!
A full bedroom set for the grand total of $249.
A baby carriage for $34.99.
 
This box may be an ugly duckling on the outside,
but the inside is a fun glimpse into our past!

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...