Thursday, January 13, 2011

Removing the musty odor in trunks


There's something about old suitcases and trunks.
There's something about imagining where they've been.
There's something about imagining who might have owned them.
There's something about...........there's something about.............
there's something awful about that smell!

Some are worse than others of course, but most are at the very least, musty.
How to get rid of that?

I stumbled across a way out of sheer desperation a few years ago.

I opened a trunk here in the store that just about knocked your socks off.
I didn't have anything on hand to take out the smell.
Nor did I want to drag that heavy thing in & out of the sun for days.

I grabbed a bottle of vanilla scented oil, & put a couple drops on a cotton ball.
I placed the cotton on a small piece of aluminum foil.
I didn't want to lay the cotton directly in the trunk in case it would stain it.

I then shut the trunk, & left it undisturbed a few days.
When I opened it again, the smell was gone.
Hallelujah!

Now, understand, there is no guarantee this will work.
And........it won't work in large, unsealed places.

Case in point............
About that same time, Jessica's car got flood water on the floor of her car.
(LONG story about a car getting flooded on top of a hill.)
(Hard to believe I know, but it happened.)

Anyway, her car smelled like flood water - a very unpleasant smell.
Would the vanilla scented oil work it's charm again?
Let's try.

Nope.
Now her car smelled like vanilla flood water.
If you have never smelled that combination, let me assure you, it's NOT good!

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...