Friday, July 26, 2013

A desk no more

A couple posts back, I showed you some drawers I painted that had been part of a big desk. You can see them here.

I decided to tear apart another one of the drawers and make signs......


The 2 long pieces were the side of the drawer, Going to the Chapel was the back, and the Office sign was the front.

While I was at it, I painted the board that slides out above the drawers for an extra flat surface. Does that thing have a name?


The blue on the board was the blue that was on the desk when son Kevin brought it home from an estate auction. I'm sure you've been dying to know where the drawers and slide came from. (ha!)

Well, they came from this....


A large desk, maybe a teachers desk? Very cool, very shabby. But, too big for me to hang onto for very long. I just don't have that kind of room in the shop anymore. (that's a good thing!).

So, when it didn't sell in 2 or 3 weeks, it had to go. Lots of new stuff has been coming in, and I needed that space.

The top piece is one solid piece. Heavy! A friend bought it  - she already had a set of cast iron legs. She is going to mount the top to the legs for a unique dining table. She also bought a couple chairs, and is going to find some more, so that she will have 6 unmatched chairs to go with the table. Unmatched in style, but her plan is to paint them all the same color to unify them. She's a woman with a vision! She has booths in a couple antique shops, so the newly finished table and chairs will make a public appearance sometime soon.

Sometimes the key to saving old furniture, instead of sending it to the landfill or a burn pile is a simple little thing called creativity.

And a vision.

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...