Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Country Life = A broken furnace



This could have been me one day last week. I got up, and the house felt chilly despite the wood stove cranking out it's heat. I looked at our thermostat, and the house was 67 degrees. The furnace was not running.

Oh no.

I went downstairs, pulled the filter out, and it started running again. Whew! Just a dirty filter!

That evening, George met me at the shop, and instead of going home, we decided to go out to eat, and see a movie. We saw Kevin Costner's Black or White. Great movie!

Our nice evening came to an abrupt halt when we got home though. The furnace was off again. And the fire in the woodstove was out.

We discovered the batteries in the thermostat had corroded. We cleaned that up, put in fresh batteries, and turned it back on. Yes! Heat!

But this morning, I got up. The house felt chilly. I looked at the thermostat. The house was 67 degrees. The furnace was off. I felt like I was in a real life Groundhog Day!

Oh no.

When George gets home from work, he will look into it further. Hopefully we just missed something. Like a mouse. In the fall, he took the furnace door off to do a little checkup before winter, and discovered a couple mice had climbed up into the furnace guts where they.........well, let's just say they met their Maker right there inside the furnace.

It's relatively warm for winter right now. 30's today. 40's tomorrow. But we are supposed to be back in the single digits by the weekend.

The woodstove is great, but it only does so much. We need that furnace! 


5 comments:

Brett Rogers said...

Yikes! A broken furnace is always terrible. Were you guys able to find out what the problem was? Anyway, I hope you don’t encounter such incidents in the future. Thanks for sharing this with us, Barb. Have a great day!


Brett Rogers @ Flame Furnace

Barb said...

Yes, we got it fixed, and just in the knick of time before it got REALLY cold!

Unknown said...

Awww! It can really be frustrating when your furnace isn't functioning well, especially at the most inopportune times and you badly need it. I'm so glad that you already got yours fixed. I just hope that it functions at its fullest extent for the long haul. In any way, thanks for sharing that, Barb! All the best to you!

Henrietta Fuller @ Bri-Tech HVAC

Lester Griffin said...

This is just the worst time of year to find out that your furnace doesn't want to work anymore. It is just awful to wake up to a cold house let alone having to deal with the frustration and stress of getting the appliance fixed. Mine died three years ago and it was so expensive to replace. I hope I never have to do that again.

Lester Griffin @ Morgan Mechanical

Rosa Nelson said...

It seems like I am reading everywhere that furnaces are breaking down left and right. I hope that whatever is ailing you isn't something serious. A whole new furnace would be really expensive and would just be a pain to deal with. At least it is a little bit warm out and you have a wood stove to get a little bit of heat.

Rosa Nelson @ HVAC Services Philadelphia

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...