Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving thoughts (and Pumpkin Pie!)

The year flew by, I can't believe tomorrow is Thanksgiving!
What am I most thankful for?
Hmmm.
That I was raised in a home where God came first.
That George & I raised our children the same way.
That Jessica married into a good family who loves her, & that she loves.
That Kevin made it through another year without getting stung.
 (He's severely allergic to bees)
That after 27 years, our marriage is still strong.
That George got called back to the plant, and that it's still open.
That I have faithful customers who are helping me hang on in this economy.
That we have great friends & family who put up with us.
That Jessica & Kevin are firmly planted with country roots 
(hang on Jess, you won't be in the city forever)
That the garden did well - really well.
That we made it thru last winter without any accidents.
(and hopeful this one won't be as bad)
That our health is good enough that our complaints aren't all that serious.

And, that we get to eat this pumpkin pie tomorrow:

PUMPKIN PIE
makes 2
Beat together in large bowl:
Large can pumpkin
2 cups brown sugar
5 eggs
2 cups evaporated milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Pour into two 9" pie shells. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees, bake another 35 to 40 minutes, till filling is set, and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

You can use frozen pie crust, but this is better:
PIE CRUST
Stir together:
2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt
Cut in : 3/4 cup shortening
Sprinkle with 5 to 6 Tablespoons cold water, adding 1 Tablespoon at a time. Stir water in with a fork.
Roll out dough, put in two 9" pie plates.

This was my mom's recipe, and I've never found another pumpkin pie recipe I like nearly as well.

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...