Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Grave Creek Mound in Moundsville, WV


Our shop is located in Moundsville, in the northern panhandle of WV.

Moundsville. MOUNDSville. Named after...... wait for it......... a large burial mound. The Grave Creek Mound is the largest conical mound of the Adena people. Built in 250-150 BC, it is 69 ft. tall and 295 ft. in diameter at the base. Learn more about it here.




Drawings and photos from the 1800's are fascinating.


At one point, there was a saloon on top.
Oh my!
It doesn't seem like trying to make your way back down 
that steep hill after having a few too many drinks
would have been a good idea. 


The last couple of years, I have been taking several pictures of the Mound as I walk around town. I'll show you a few of my favorites. The one above was in the springtime, when the trees were in bloom.


Beautiful sky.
Beautiful day.


Snow melt.


Another snow melt, in black and white.


Evening was near.


Early morning, just before sunrise.

You may notice the trees that were growing on the mound are gone. They were cut down this year. I don't know why, and I miss them. But, on the other hand, someone pointed out that without them, the Mound is more visible. And more imposing. I have to agree with that point of view too.

No matter how you look at it, the Grave Creek Mound is a very unique piece of history!



No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...