Sunday, August 26, 2012

My window displays for the Cost of Freedom


Moundsville's Cost of Freedom ends today. It's been lots of work for many people, but a work well worth the effort. We'll never be able to show enough honor and respect and appreciation to our military. We owe them more than we can ever begin to repay.

Many folks who came commented on how impressed they were with how our town came together for this event. The majority of the storefronts had their windows all decked out in military memorabilia. Lots of red, white and blue. Lots of pictures and uniforms. Lots of American pride.

I didn't take pictures in other stores, but I did take pictures of my windows, and I thought I'd share them here.

 
This is the left window going into the shop. It featured my cousin Lyle who was killed in Vietnam, my father-in-law, and some friend's relatives. 
 
 
This is the right window going into the shop. It featured my dad, and also newspaper clippings from the Persion Gulf War.
 
For more detailed stories of each soldier featured, you can go to my facebook page. I posted one or two a day during the Cost of Freedom event.
 
 
At some point along the way, we picked up these two 48 star flags. This seemed an appropriate time to use them for display. The pip wreath in the middle is for sale, but the flags aren't. 
 
 
May we never forget....

 
This bell was originally in the Dixon Ridge School in Marshall County, WV. Later, it was on my father-in-laws farm outside Cameron, WV. When the news came out that WWII had ended, George's dad, uncle, and grandfather rang the bell so hard in celebration that the bell cracked! If you look closely at the bell, toward the left side, you can see the crack.
 
We had the bell in the window for the event, and I think lots of people enjoyed seeing and reading it's history. 
 
 
I made a fabric bunting to hang around the top of the windows, and cut out stars on my Sihlouette machine to accompany the bunting.
 
One memory of the Event that meant a lot to me was walking into the store Friday morning. As I neared the front door to unlock it, I saw a group of school children and their teacher Mrs. Eskridge looking at the displays in my windows. My aunt just happened to be there right then, and as I opened the door, she was pointing out to the children that the man in the picture was her brother.
 
 
That brought tears to my eyes, as I saw her proudly point out the pictures of my dad, and I heard the teacher say, "Look children, this man was this woman's brother."
 
Then, my aunt pointed out the young man in the other window.
 
 
My cousin, Lyle Glenn Aston. He was killed in Vietnam, leaving behind a grief-stricken family, including his wife and baby. The print-out is from my sister's blog, when she wrote about Lyle. You can see it here.
 
The teacher said to the kids, "This is why we're here. To pay respect to these soldiers."
 
 

Yes, indeed. May we never forget. 

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...