Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Ohio Valley Cost of Freedom Tribute

I tried to do a post yesterday, but the pictures wouldn't load right. Well, phooey. So, I'm switching gears today and going with a whole new post.

One week from today our little (population 9,234) town of Moundsville, WV will host the Ohio Valley Cost of Freedom Tribute. It's coming to town in style, accompanied by 750+ Patriot Guard Riders. Can you imagine the thunder of that many Harley Davidson's roaring into town?


The traveling Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall  will be set up on Jefferson Avenue, in front of the former WV Penitentiary.

Other parts will be inside the Penitentiary grounds, and on the riverfront. Several stores (including mine) will have displays in their windows. Some are already up, others will be put up next week.


My windows are filling up with red, white and blue. Military memorabilia from my dad, my father-in-law, and friends family will be going in my windows next week. I don't want to put it out till closer time...I don't want to risk sun damage on irreplaceable mementos.



The newly refurbished (beautiful!) Strand Theatre will be presenting their own tributes as well. 

This is a huge event....they are expecting 50,000 visitors during the Tribute. If you can possibly come, I'm sure it will be well worth your time and effort.

I've been to the real Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall in Washington DC. I've looked up my cousin's name on that wall. I've stood there and cried. For his loss, and for the thousands of others that are so neatly listed one by one on that Wall. It's an overwhelming experience.

I'm sure it will be just as moving when standing in front of the traveling Wall. 

We owe those young men from that war and the many others our sincere gratitude. I hope you will be able to join us in Moundsville next week.

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...