Thursday, March 16, 2017

Bread Stuff

This is not my mom's hands, but oh, how this picture makes me think of her.


She made the best bread, and made it every week. Our daughter associates the smell of baking bread with Grandma's house. I do too, but even more, it's the color of bread. Mom's bread had the most beautiful dark brown crust. I rarely see it in homemade breads, it must have been particular to mom's oven.

And the taste! Warm from the oven with butter or jelly. Oh my.

Sadly, I never learned to bake it. I tried a few times, but it just didn't come close. Maybe I don't have the patience to knead it correctly. One of my strongest memories of mom is of her kneading that dough. She often had fun with it - she would put on a couple 50's records, and dance while she kneaded.





Then, in a few hours, we would get to eat slices of heaven.
Oh, the memories.

By the way, the 2 bread photos above are from the free photo site, Pixabay. Love them!

I have my mom's bread boards, and they are some of my most treasured possessions. 

Speaking of bread boards, I picked up several pig shaped ones at an auction.
Some sold as they were, but I a few lingered around the shop.
One day, I decided to get creative with them.


What is it with the bacon craze these days? 
I like bacon, but have no desire to eat bacon flavored everything. 
Bacon flavored ice cream? Really? 
No thank you.

But, bacon decor? I can do that.
Of course, they can no longer be used as cutting boards, but that's ok.


They already lived that life. 
Now they can rest and just hang around the kitchen.
Literally.


It appears this old bread box is ready to rest too.
I have no idea what caused the lid to break.
But, it's still a cool box. I painted it green, then added a burlap ribbon and a "Stuff" tag.
Who says a bread box can only be used for bread? 


This canvas painting was an experiment. 
I had picked it up an an auction, or flea market, or some such place.
It wasn't framed, and had a couple slight stains.

Around that same time, I saw a woman on some TV decorating show write on a painting with a Sharpie.
What? 

Hers turned out so well, I decided to try it on the bread painting.
Hmmm. Mine didn't turn out nearly as well as hers did.

I put the painting aside, and you know what happened next.
Out of sight, out of mind.

Recently, I discovered the painting again, and while I still don't like it as well as the ladies on TV, I decided it wasn't THAT bad.

I brought it into the shop, and put it out for sale.
It sold a few days ago, and the lady who bought it was quite happy with it.

All's well that ends well!





No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...