Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Country Life = Marx Toys and fun

I've been working on our basement - cleaning...sorting....organizing.

One of the boxes brought back many happy memories. My cousins and I spent many an hour playing with these...


While I'm not 100% certain, I think they are Marx toys. I just called my sister Jo, and she too thinks they are Marx. They actually were her toys first......and I'm sure she had just as much fun with them as I did. And maybe we played with them together...if so, I don't remember that.

You see, she is 6 1/2 years older than me. Which makes me 6 1/2 years younger than her. Which made me quite an annoyance to her. By the time I was old enough to be interested in these kinds of toys, she had probably moved on to a new interest...........BOYS.


But no more than 3 years separated me and my 2 cousins - a girl the same age as me, and her brother who was 3 years younger. We didn't care at all about BOYS then, (or in the case of my boy cousin - GIRLS).


We just played ranch...and farm...and stick-em-ups. Then we'd tear it all down, and do it again. Oh the fun!



If you look closely, you'll notice some of the horses have lost their tails. One of the benches is missing a leg. The fence is a bit precarious. And the stage coach is in need of serious repair.

But that's ok. Those are signs of toys that were played with, and played with often. Those are signs that make the memories come flooding back.

Marx Toys were made in Glen Dale, WV from 1919 to 1980. Glen Dale neighbors our town of Moundsville. We're thinking our toys are from the late 50's/early 60's. Like lots of folks around here, our dad had a stint working at Marx Toys. According to their website, during the 1950’s and 60’s, Louis Marx & Co. became the “largest toy manufacturer in the world,” with over one-third of all toys in the United States being Marx toys. 

I encourage you to check out their website - http://www.marxtoymuseum.com/ And if you are a country music fan, be sure to read the page about the legends of Glen Dale - www.marxtoymuseum.com/announcements/legends-of-glen-dale

It tells about the display they have of the Marx Toys that Brad Paisley played with. Brad is from Glen Dale too - I remember seeing him sing at local festivals etc. when he was just a boy. Our hometown boy has certainly made a name for himself!

If you're in our area sometime, be sure to make time to stop at the Marx Toy Museum. It's a fascinating trip down memory lane. The Turner family has done a wonderful job showcasing those marvelous toys. And......my aunt may just be your tour guide.

She's the mother of the 2 cousins who played ranch and farm and stick-em-up with me all those years ago!



1 comment:

Jo said...

Pretty good photos that sure bring back memories. But I think you may have a few additions that aren't Marx, or at least weren't my Marx toys. (e.g. I don't remember the lamb or the duck that are at the watering trough.) I'll have to take a closer look the next time I visit.

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...