Thursday, December 9, 2010

Country life = snow and accidents

This is a picture of the parking lot behind the shop this morning:


As you can see, there is just a skiff of snow.

This is a picture of our lane this morning:


The track through the snow is about 5 inches deep.
The drift on the side is about 2 feet deep.

There was a better picture of the drifts on out the lane, but it was cold & I didn't want to get out again to take the picture.

Why am I showing you this?
To give you an idea of why I sometimes close the shop due to snow. Many, many times, there is not much snow in town, but 5 miles from town, up on the ridges, it's a different world!

To further illustrate my point, I thought I'd share these pictures with you:




 

This is what happened to our PT Cruiser 2 years ago.
George came in from midnight shift and said, "the roads are bad, maybe you better close the shop today"

I said, "I'll be fine, I can't close the shop just a few days before Christmas"

Obviously, I should have closed the shop.
Instead...
I slid on the ice.
I hit a tree.
I hit a fence.
I totaled the car.
I almost hit a house while totaling the car.
I sheared off a natural gas line while totaling the car.
I prayed that there wouldn't be an explosion from the gas line.
I prayed for the workers who had to crawl under the car to stop the gas leak.
I spent the next 2 years paying for a new car.

(Did I mention that we had just paid off the PT Cruiser when I totaled it?)

And...........
I had to close the shop that day, because...
I had totaled the car and had no way to get to the shop, even if I could have got my legs to stop shaking enough to open it.

The moral of the story?
I now close the shop when it's that snowy.

Had to learn the hard way didn't I?

Oh - I wasn't hurt in the accident, just a little sore.

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...