Sunday, May 15, 2011

Country Life = Teenage Chickens

Remember our little baby peeps?

Well, they are teenage pullets now - they grew so fast! 
Their world has expanded again, into a run built outside the coop.
When their little door is opened in the morning, there's a mad dash down the ramp.




Once the first bunch gets out of the way, the stragglers start their descent.


They take their time, enjoying the smell of the fresh air.


One stays behind, not quite ready to start the day.
Waiting perhaps on a second cup of coffee.
(Just kidding)



There's so much to do!
Grass to be plucked.
Bugs to be pecked.
Ramps to be walked down.
Ramps to be walked up.
And, holes to stick your head through..............



Let me tell you, if you get tired of sitting on the couch watching TV, get some chickens.
I didn't particularly want to get chickens, but I admit, they are highly entertaining!


I like to watch them as they go about their business of the day.
And they seem to feel the same about us, they don't miss a thing we do.

I thought I'd be sneaky and take some pictures from their little door.


But they don't miss a trick.


"Hey! What are you doing in our door?"

Oh! I almost forgot - one day one of the girls started crowing.
As in cock-a-doodle-dooing.

Uh-Oh. They were supposed to all be girls.

It turns out you can't assume that a young chicken is a boy if it crows.
Some young hens aren't satisfied just to cluck, & will experiment with crowing.
We read that around 3 or 4 months old, we should know for sure.

Oh boy. No boys allowed.
This could get interesting.

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...