I bought it cheap at Goodwill. I think it's an arch for over a front door. They had several there, and I kept looking at them, thinking, "what could I do with that?". Nothing was coming to me, and the price was too high, even for Goodwill prices. What can I say - I'm cheap!
Then I went in one day, and there were only 3 left, and the price had been cut some more. I made my move.
I took them home, then thought, "why did I buy those?".
The other day, I put white primer on the 3 of them, that is what you are seeing in the photo above. And then I stared long and hard at one, and this is what I came up with.............
It's funny, but when I chalked out my lettering, I thought it looked ok. Even when I held it on my lap and painted it, I thought it looked ok. I'm not much for centering things exactly. I think centering is too perfect for the country/primitive look. I knew I would be filling in around the lettering with stars and berries so, I thought it looked fine.
Then, I hung up the finished product. Hmmm, I think I should have leaned a little more toward centering. Oh well, too late now!
I have one more like the one above to paint, but I'm still waiting on inspiration to strike. The third one is bigger, and the slats are vertical. I have absolutely no idea how I'll finish that one. Come on inspiration!!!
These are pretty big, but they aren't heavy at all. They are made out of..........something. Whatever it is, it's lightweight. I wanted to hang the finished one over the mantel, but even though it's lightweight, it's still just a little too heavy for the nail I have up there. The nail goes through the paneling, and that's it. There's nothing back there - I could tell you stories for a month on the less than perfect construction of this old building. So, I propped it up on the wood box like you see in the photo.
Where there's a will, there's a way!