Sunday, March 6, 2011

French Breakfast Puffs recipe

We love these muffins! When Jessica and Kevin were growing up, we'd have these for a special breakfast treat when they had friends spend the night. They were always a big hit.

Once they moved out on their own, we kinda forgot about these muffins. Recently, I was looking for something different to bake, and I ran across this recipe again. Ahh yes! The love affair continues.
















Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Set aside.

In mixer bowl, cream together:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening (I use butter shortening)
1 egg

Add 1/2 cup milk and the flour mixture alternately to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.

Lightly grease 11 muffin cups, or use paper liners, like I do. Fill cups 2/3 full.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or till golden.

While they are baking, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
Also, in a separate bowl, melt 6 tablespoons margarine.

When the muffins are done baking, remove from oven, and immediately dip them in the melted margarine, then dip them in the sugar/cinnamon mixture till coated.

Serve warm. Delicious!!!!

The original recipe makes 12 muffins, and they use lightly greased muffin pans. Personally, I hate washing the muffin pans (so many holes!), so I use paper liners. If I try to do 12 muffins in liners, they are a little too flat to dip in the margarine and sugar mixture, so I do 11.

When Kevin was little, he thought a Baker's Dozen was 11. Why? He thought the Baker always ate one. Imagine his shock when he found out a Baker's Doxen is 13!

Also, you can cut way down on the melted margarine and sugar/cinnamon mix if you use liners. The amount stated above is if you roll the whole muffin in the margarine and sugar mix. Since I use liners, I only dip the tops in. I just made some, and cut the stated amount in half, and still had too much.

ENJOY!

No comments:

First Occasional Shop Weekend of the Year

Our first occasional shop opening started today, and runs through tomorrow. Why am I just now posting pics here on my blog? Because my lapt...